Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The Needle and the Damage Done

Actually there appears to be no damage, but there was definitely a needle. I had 2 grams of iron transfused into me today, and was fully expecting to cartwheel out of the hospital!! But due to some technical thing, the iron won't hit my system for another 3 weeks. They explained it to me but technical jargon always washes over me. I mean, I think I'm listening and taking it all in but an hour later I haven't got a clue. Something to do with the blood cells regenerating and the iron not being fully effective until absorbed by new red blood cells?? Or something.

Anyway, today I went up to the 5th floor where I checked into the 'Medi-hotel' (not quite a ward) at St Vincents. I got there at 9-ish and the transfusion started at 11.

I packed my iPod, Anne of The Island, the latest NW (trash mag), my knitting and The Age puzzle page. Did a bit of everything over the course of a very long day.


I forgot snacks!! They gave me lunch (a sandwich and an apple) but there is something about kicking back with a book on a couch that makes me crave lollies, biscuits or chips. Or preferably all three.

We were treated to some ad-hoc entertainment during, in the form of 2 intrepid window-washers. Apparently this only happens once a year. File this under jobs I'd never do..

And at 4.30 I was pronounced free to go. Gee, it felt good when the tape came off and the needle came out..

Fixit as good as called me a wuss for not wanting to mash the potatoes with my poor sore arm tonight, but he ended up doing it for me anyway.

17 comments:

  1. Hope the transfusion results in boundless energy! Nice knitting by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Stomper, I felt sick when I saw your poor arm.
    Hope all that pain was worth it. I had the iron injections in the skinny rump in the day. They wouldnt have trouble finding a site today! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for your treatment Stomper. I, myself, am hopeless with needles. The one and only time I ever tried to donate blood, I fainted and went into such severe shock that I was told never to return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's to a speedy recovery. At least you got a day to kick back and do nothing (ha!) I could have visited you today, the kids and I were at the Museum (not a good day - full car park by 11am, crowds, grrr).

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW what's THAT a cosy for?!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. eww yuck -

    I hate bloody needly stuff, and I wouldn't have mashed the spuds either. I walk around in a sling very precioulsy after such occasions - YUK !

    Hope you're feeling well in 3 weeks ( wow, that is such a long time away ! )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh - your kntting is very even - I think you must be one of the multi-talented types!

    Sorry about your sore arm - I think I would have clobbered Fixit over the head with the masher myself - or more likely, called for take out. I'm a "milker" I am ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fixit should watch himself - the next time he's cuddled up on the couch whining about his cold (aka I'm gonna die!) you'll remember....

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh, you are so brave! And talented, multi-faceted, knitting, bleeding, reading, eating, and iron-ing all at once! No wonder you are tired!

    Good luck with the perking up stuff, I hope it works!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OW! Much sympathy, and best wishes for a rapid return to required BOINGINESS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you madfe excellent use of your time! Nutmeg is right---your knitting is very even and consistent . Are you SURE you're a beginner?? Hope the three weeks flies....to the new energetic you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. VERY impressive stitching Stomper Girl!

    Sympathy for your handy.

    No sympathy for the significant male in your life ... Bide your time and pick your moment ....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear, I'm very very blood-phobic so couldn't read your post in detail, but poor you, and I hope it does the trick and you feel better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 3 weeks???? At least you're on the road to more energy. Hope it comes faster than predicted. And, I agree with the consensus -- nice knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ow - hope the energy kicks in soon and makes that worth it.

    Great knitting, that's really coming alone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ouch! Sorry about the three week thing. Hope your arm is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope the energy levels bounce back quickly for you :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't let the cat get your tongue.