Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Tobogganing.

My mum was convinced that nobody photographed her having a toboggan ride during our family visit to the snowfields at Mount Stirling, and she was rather miffed about it.  Fair enough, it is pretty impressive that a person of her years was able and game enough: she was the only senior cit in the snow, let alone on a toboggan, that we saw all day. So impressive, and she only needed a bit of help climbing to the top of the slope, and being lowered onto the toboggan.  But the truth of the matter was that it was only my-sister-the-photographer who didn't have the fancy camera out on the three, yes you heard that right, three occasions when Mum decided to have a go.  When I showed Mum that actually I had taken a photo of her, using Fixit's phone, she declared that it wasn't her and muttered darkly about photo fixing. But as you can see, the lady in the red parka with the purple backpack is the same lady sailing elegantly down the slope.  Et voila, Grandmere sur le Toboggan.


Here is Mister Fixit, who managed a few goes in between hanging with the boys or giving my niece big pushes. I do like the way his leg is sticking up and out as he careers down towards the temporary fencing.  He crashed out quite a lot. He was probably a bit big for the toboggan.




But now we should look at the good quality pictures, the ones taken by my-sister-the-photographer.  They're much better than mine.

C'est moi. Whee! 

Cherub. He had the best time.

Climber. Climber was very good on the toboggan, but he was a fiend with the snowballs as you might be able to see in this collection of shots. No one, apart from Grandma, was safe. He got me a beauty, smack on the cheekbone as I whizzed down -which really hurt- but at least he gave me a slightly stricken apology when I climbed back up the top.


In point of fact, the only person who did not get a photo of herself on the toboggan was my poor sister-the-photographer. Ain't it always the way. So here is a collage of the terrific bus we took to the mountain top, just so you can see that my-sister-the-photographer was also part of the snowday fun. Hi sis!


11 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun! Haven't been to the snow in years, organising warm clothes for three seems to be a bit of a challenge. But I'm a bit inspired now. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miffed? Moi? Non, non! Well not really. One must appear to be indignant. When you are surrounded by people who photograph EVERYTHiNG, because if you do not have a photo, it never really happened, the undocumented moment suddenly becomes a figment of the imagination. How will posterity cope if they do not have a photo of Grandma, who has just had yet another significant birthday, doing valiant and extraordinary things like toboganning three (3) times? And what fun it was! I did not crash, or fall off, and managed to steer quite effectively, and when I retired, it was due to cold and numb feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic holiday you have had! And with your sister and mum too, it doesn't get any better than that! Good on you mum for getting out there, and your sister truly takes wonderful photos. That one of Cherub is just divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did this a couple of years ago at mount buffalo, so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like so much fun! I feel inspired to take a trip to the snow now. The Poor IP has never been tobogganing or skiing or any of those sporty- type snow activities. We're just not cold weather people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hard to imagine the middle of winter, and snow, when we're melting here! Great pictures. I thought I'd only been away a few months but by how grown up those boys look I'm thinking my name might be Rip Van Winkle...Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well... the photos are lovely but it looks very COLD to me. It's nice and warm here in Scotland and I'd rather keep it that way, thanks!

    Isn't Climber getting big???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that photo of you, so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am v cross at myself as The Photographer that I did not take said image of ace grandma shooting down the hill on the toboggan. V cross indeed. Fantastic day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Don't let the cat get your tongue.