Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A meme and some JT.

This is one of Cherub's favourite books at the moment. Both boys can repeat large chunks of Charlie and Lola-isms. Climber can recite the list of foods Lola will not eat. Cherub talks about everything being his favourite and his best. So when he handed me this one for his bedtime story tonight and I asked Which one is this? expecting him to reel off the title, I was surprised to hear him tell me it was actually called: "Never Ever Touch My Rocket, Or Play With It". I think Lauren Child would have approved. (Have a look at her site, it's very cool.)

Having a whole punnet of raspberries in one go - that's not what you'd call a pig-out is it? Is it? Can't work out why I feel so guilty for scoffing, not sharing. It's not like the boys love raspberries that much. They were so nice. I couldn't stop..

Ewe are Here tagged me for a meme. So I've memed.

1. Do you like the look and the contents of your blog?

I do. I tweaked a blogger template to up the purple-ness and put in a personalized banner (design kudos to Aunty Cookie for the feet by the way).

I would say the contents are a very pristine version of my life. I don’t share the full extent of my angst for a few reasons. I don’t want to hurt people’s feelings, or upset their sensibilities. I don’t want to be sued. And because I started this as a personal historical record I’d rather not look back on it in 40 years (assuming I find a clever way to archive it) and think oh my God what a whingeing, self-obsessed pain-in-the-arse. Because on the whole, we are happy. This is a happy time of my life.

2. Does your family know about your blog? Yes.

3. Can you tell your friends about your blog? Yes

4. Do you just read the blogs of those who comment on your blog?

Well I tend to read theirs’ FIRST!! But no, I jump around a fair bit. I like to follow up funny comments on other blogs.

5. Does your blog positively affect your mind?
Hell, yeah. There’s the writing for brain exercise and Alzheimer’s prevention, there’s the venting as therapy, and there’s the happy and connected feeling when I get comments. It’s good stuff.

6. What does the number of visitors to your blog mean?
That I’m slightly more popular than I was 6 months ago?

7. Do you imagine what other bloggers look like?
I like knowing what they look like but I’m useless at the imagining stuff.

8. Do you think blogging has any real benefit?
Apart from being cheaper than therapy? I know that there are blogs that raise a lot of social and political issues and I enjoy reading them. But I’m going to nominate a smaller benefit. Listening. Blogging is a chance to have your say uninterrupted, and seriously, there are not a lot of opportunities in real life for that luxury. Particularly when parenthood has shredded my capacity for clear and ordered thought. My 5-year-old completes my sentences for me some days. So to set down my ideas, articulately and without interruption, and then to receive thoughtful feedback is a great thing.

9. Do you think that the blogosphere is a stand alone community separated from the real world?
We all live in the real world so how could that be?

10. Do some political blogs scare you? Do you avoid them?
It’s all food for thought. I’m not always hungry though.

11. Do you think that criticizing your blog is useful?
Why would you bother? If you don’t like the program, turn off the telly. No point complaining to the TV Guide.

12. Have you ever thought what would happen to your blog in case you died?
Sort of. Because my plan is to archive it, so that if the kids or grandkids are interested they can check it out
.

13. Which blogger had the greatest impression on you?
I read a lot of blogs that I really like and they all have different impressions. Some make me laugh, some make me want to read more books, some make me wish I knew how to knit, sew or craft, some make me wish I was smarter, and some of them I’d just like to hang out with. It’s all good.

Although. I read one famous blogger and I was a bit gobsmacked by the fact that she had a list of presents that she and her son wanted so that her adoring blog-readers could buy them for her if they wished. Talk about big time.

14. Which blogger do you think is the most similar to you?
Well, we’re all very different really, but I like to think the people on my blogroll are on the whole kindred spirits.

15. Name a song you want to listen to.

Whoa. Is it just me or does this question belong in a whole other meme? However, this week I'm liking Sexyback by Justin Timberlake. Just because it makes me want to shake my groove thing. The film clip is very James Bond.


I'm tagging Tracey and Joanne.

12 comments:

  1. Had fun browsing the Milkmonitor. Is LC Australian? Very clever.
    Loved your thoughtful remarks on the meme, esp. in #1,5,8,and 13.
    Fragments that made me splutter my tea:

    ...whingeing, self obsessed pain-in-the-arse!

    the famous blogger's wishlist--the gall of it all!

    Love the therapy, venting [but not too much] and kindred spirits aspects; also the Alzheimers prevention --- great post. And now, be a good girl and switch to the new blogger so I don't have to type everything twice -grrrr! [I'm severely memory challenged...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the last question; it kind of makes you go 'huh? what's that question doing there?'

    And one can never eat too many raspberries. Or blueberries. With whipped cream. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it when you think "...I must be weird for thinking about that..." and see others have thought of it before you! I must admit I've thought a few times about what would happen (I can't even say it - see question 12). As no-one but Mr J knows I blog - the blog would probably just stop one day.... I think I need to tell him to print it out or something. For posterity :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting meme and answers. I can never think of stuff to write for memes, so I just don't do them! Must get some raspberries before they finish - but they're so expensive. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheaper than therapy? You bet! And I liked what you said about looking back and not wanting to see constant whinging. I try to remember that sometimes too - and I think the regularity of blogging tends to make me focus more on what is good in my life: I hope so, anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your answer to #12... part of why I write is to preserve my memories of this time in my life, when the children are small... I should ask W to share it with them when they're old enough (if I'm not around).

    ReplyDelete
  7. SG I really enjoyed your thoughtful meme. Well done!
    Yes, I have thought about how to archive, or save this, as legacy of my life's memories.
    I cant even get GOM to read it very often, but other family members do, & my son approves.
    I think I rant from time to time, but on the whole, I think the blogging has helped me see that I am basically a positive person.

    And I really enjoy your young & vibrant posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Re raspberries - gather ye rosebuds while ye may! We had raspberries and cream last night with the Stephanie Alexander version of the chocolate almond cake - general bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tag. I have just finished my meme...I'm exhausted from all that deep thought! Be sure to watch my song. I LOVE IT! I agree that a blog should hurt another or reflect all the crappy things that happen in life. You are certainly not a whingy blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dunno, Badger makes something of an art form out of bitching, and I confess I enjoy it immensely.

    Can't get over the blogger with the wishlist though. Who is she? A rockstar?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Molly - Lauren Child is English, and wonderful.

    Shula - Ditto. Anonymity and/or utter fearlessness can be wonderfully liberating in the way you blog!

    Can't remember the famous blogger. She's American. Her motto is "the best revenge is writing well" and she has printed t-shirts for sale saying that. And a legion of fans. She chairs blogging conferences. I think she was a blog pioneer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. here here to comment 11!!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't let the cat get your tongue.