Monday, January 20, 2014

A little scare and a round-up.

19 Jan 2014 8:54 am

My mum is having an overnight stay in hospital following a funny turn. The diagnosis at this stage is that it may have been a mini-stroke so they are keeping her in for tests and observation. Fortunately my sister has been staying with her, so was able to take care of her and get medical help. We're all hoping that Mum is okay. She has taken some crochet into hospital to keep her sane. Good plan. It's not like you can expect to get any proper rest in hospital.  We'll hear more tomorrow.

 Meanwhile, here are some bits and pieces from the homefront....
  • Although my sister's house had two bedrooms available for the kids to sleep in, my boys chose to share a room for the duration of our stay. Initially because it was too hot to sleep in a top bunk on our first night there, but afterwards really because all the lego was in the boy-cousin's room, and, I think, for the company. It has been lovely how well my two have got on this holiday.
  • Cherub woke very early on our last morning at the coast, intent on following my instructions about packing their stuff. He's so focused. He did in fact manage a bit of packing without waking Climber or myself, but then found himself at a standstill due to the slumbering brother in the way, and when I got up a bit later I found Cherub hard asleep on the lounge room couch. Very unusual, very sweet.
18 Jan 2014 8:05 am
  • Fixit brought home with him a good collection of seashells, as you do. He swears he plans to make something decorative with them, and to this end has been experimenting with various products in his shed to see what brings up the best shine. If you were thinking wax you'd be wrong.  Top results were archived with a product called Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish, which is supposed to be used on metal. Now you know.
19 Jan 2014 10:42 pm
  • Fixit and I were both very appreciative about living with a dishwasher at my sister's place. Someone (I can't remember who) once said something to me along the lines of dishwashers still being work and drudgery, but neither of us are buying that. Dishwashers are magic. Put dirty dishes in, take sparkly clean dishes out.  So easy. And no unsightly dishes cluttering up your paltry bench space like at our house. We loves the dishwasher, it's our precious.  Bathrooms with space in them are very nice too.
19 Jan 2014 1:54 pm

  • Both boys are mad for Sherlock Holmes at the moment.  I have Series 1 and 2 on dvd, and they are on high rotation.  Series 3 has not been shown in Australia yet, but I was able to purchase the dvd from the BBC online shop, so that will be a good birthday present for Climber.  (This will be much better than waiting for a commercial television station to air it here.) Meanwhile, the boys got into character to watch it today.

20 Jan 2014 7:09 pm

9 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your mum. These things are anxious making - I hope the hospital was really excellent as has been our experience. There have been some times when I have been really grateful for our healthcare system. But most of all I hope your Mum is OK!
    ps I would love a dishwasher too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your mum! Hope things are resolved soon, and for the good.

    For my 30th, my best friend and her partner gave me some money to buy a dishwasher. I actually cried when I opened the card. The best bit is that now Steven can't argue with me about it (or has diminished chance to). Since we're planning on moving I'm holding off until we know when that might be but it is HARD. Freaking dishes are the bane of my life. Even if the dishwasher were just a cupboard to store dirty dishes until they could be washed, it would be an improvement, especially in my teeny, bench-spacepoor kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dishwashers are wonderful. When we were renting we bought a mobile dishwasher and it had to live in the laundry but even that was better than washing dishes manually. When we bought a place we took the mobile one with us and got it plumbed in properly. I think from memory it was a normal dishwasher and we purchased a mobile kit for it. Fusher & Paykel if that's any help.

    Sending healing wishes to your mum and anxiety-reducing ones to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your mum is OK!

    I wouldn't live in a house without a dishwasher. I am forever spoiled by them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was just reading your mum's blog - so reading this gave me a fright. Everything crossed that she is OK. OMG SERIES 3 (sorry for shouting) is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Series Three is soooooo so good. We have watched all three about five times each since they were aired. A.G.R.A. - spoilers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those shells have really come up a treat! Well done Mr F

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont think I could live without a dishwasher now- I would buy a mobile one if the next rental im in doesnt have one. Hang on, I'd only pick a rental WITH one! I tell myself its more hygienic, or mine is the single parent excuse- too tired at night to do dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear about your mum. Hope she recovers very soon.

    I could live without a dishwasher but not a clothes washer!

    ReplyDelete

Don't let the cat get your tongue.