Monday, January 13, 2014

Less mum, more kid

Today we had another morning in Mornington (I just like saying that), visiting the Capezio shop to get some new tap shoes for Climber (size ten and a half, omg).  We also used the Mornington laundrette, and while we waited for the load to go through, we found a cafe, and I sampled, for the first time, a macaroon. Only about two years behind Australian food fads, then. I tried a mango one, it was really nice.  I don't know why I thought it wouldn't be.

13 Jan 2014 12:44 pm

I also browsed the retro clothing boutique next to the laundrette, which was having a very tempting sale.  I resisted the urge to buy things I can't afford and don't need; having the family loitering outside was helpful for that.  I think I prefer doing my shopping on the sly, crazy no? Although obviously I couldn't leave behind these groovy purple sunglasses, I'm only human.

13 Jan 2014 3:09 pm


In the afternoon, we decided to try a different surf beach on the other side of the Peninsula and ended up at picturesque Portsea. The heat wave has not quite struck but the weather was warm enough to get me in the water with my family, catching waves on my boogie-board. (which Mister Fixit damaged yesterday when he had a turn, how very dare he!) 13 Jan 2014 5:23 pm

The safe swimming area (between the surf lifesaver flags) was tiny at Portsea, I assume because the surf can be so treacherous there. This meant that riding the waves was a bit too crowded for my liking. And towards the end of our splash, I could feel the waves getting rougher, so we decided to head home, via the Rosebud sushi shop.  It was good to visit a new beach, but what with the long drive and the surfing conditions, I don't think we'll bother going back there this holiday. Our 'local' is more fun.

  13 Jan 2014 5:21 pm

While we were in the surf we came across a school-mum friend, whose little 5 year-old boy looked at me with my board and asked his Mum why an adult would have a boogie board. I love the way kids think and say unexpected stuff. And I liked how that simple question, coupled with the exhilaration of throwing myself around in the surf, made me feel: less mum, more kid.

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying your holiday posts, and wishing I was having a beach holiday too

    ReplyDelete

Don't let the cat get your tongue.