Saturday, June 14, 2008

So what does your husband actually do?

On a cold, wet, windy Friday morning, five bloggers braved the elements to meet each other.

There were sacrifices made to enable this blogmeet. I personally drove all the way from Melbourne's north to the southern bayside suburbs. Fortunately without too much whinging from the back-seat Cherub. Blue Mountains Mary came even further; that intrepid soul had to abandon her children and fly a thousand miles to make it. Boy were her wings tired. As for Fairlie, she was right in the middle of the Great Wardrobe Decimation, and you know how annoying it is to walk away from that sort of job. Poor House & Baby not only bared her breasts in public, she also had to find a makeshift bed for her infant son. Luckily she found a great one right on Blue Mountains Mary's chest but she couldn't have known that beforehand. Sheep's Clothing made possibly the greatest sacrifice, choosing NOT to play her weekly tennis game in the driving wind and rain so that she could sit inside a cafe and converse with the rest of us. The poor girl was forced to lie to her tennis team about why she couldn't make this week's game. Something about an unspecified "accident".

As for the junior blogmeet contingent, they handled themselves supremely well. The wee baby snuggled, smiled and charmed whilst the boisterous 4-year-olds played, shared, chatted, and ate. We think they were oblivious to the nasty shooshing they got from another cafe occupant (we suspect the cafe owner, and Stacey dubbed him Mister Shhh-y). They even shouldered photographic responsibilities. And had quite the chat about eye colour with each other - I think Master C may have been reading his mummy's blog?

A great time was had by all. A wonderful group of girls, good company, lots of laughs. The first time I had a blogmeet I was insanely nervous. Now I'm a veteran blog-meeter with no nerves to speak of. If I like the blog then I know I'll like the author. And I do and I did.

21 comments:

  1. I wasn't quite insanely nervous...but definitely mildly. And within five minutes, I was completely at home! It was a great meet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you guys had a great day after those trials and tribulations to get you all together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a perfect get together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am assuming my invite got lost in the mail!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like fun - I was so cross that I had to work and miss out. At least we got a 'second sitting' at 5.30 so to speak, which was lovely, although sounds like it was quieter than your version (no one shooshed us!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like and excellent day all 'round.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm popping in (well, delurking actually) via Fairlie's site. How wonderful to meet each other *jealous!*

    When in the UK recently I met up with one of my fellow blog-mates and we got on like a house on fire. It was wonderful. How great is blogging and how great is it to build up your social network?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Mary went a loooong way! This blogging stuff is pretty cool, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. God help me, I think I feel a smiley face coming on.

    8>)

    Glad you all had a lovely day. Cherub's a fair photographer, better than many adults.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'm so jealous!
    (Came over from Fairlie's to have a look — hi, Stomper Girl!)
    I do so love my Aussie blogs, and their writers' sense of humour, and irony, and style, and I could think of nothing I'd like better to do on a rainy, blowy day, than to sit in a cafe like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great looking bunch you are!
    Mary wears that baby so well! You all look so happy & Cherub is to be congratulated for his photographic skills!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I would be so nervous too! Glad it turned out so well.

    Loved hearing about Mr Shhh-y (boo! hiss! to you Mr Shh-y).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Envious. Beyond envious. Glad you had a good time, though :) When are you heading to Canada for a blogger meet?

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did I really bare my breasts ?
    Makes me sound like a rabid breastfeeder ( old 'Tits Ahoy' on the end there ... ;)

    Yes, we discovered it was the cafe owner after you left and MC got another shoosh. Weird though, as when I went to pay for the coffee, the dude was all 'I love kids' and even mentioned whisking me away to Paris ( or something - what ? - dude, I just want to pay )

    Really mean of you not to invite Teacup though. tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. H&B - perhaps it was the breast baring that prompted the proposed whisking??

    You lucky ducks! Isn't it funny how, even though you've never met them face to face, you like you were in the middle of a conversation and just launch right into it - without any small talk. I love that. BMMary is a fabulous girl.

    ReplyDelete
  16. H&B - it was definitely tits out for the Frenchie.
    I was a wee bit nervous too - particularly as I had just dyed my hair and looked like a goth.
    It was fun though, despite the weather, the bad tempered cafe staff.
    Lets do it again. Soon! Next week too soon??

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds like you had a great time - I've not yet managed to meet up with fellow bloggers yet, plans have been thwarted in the past, but here's hoping.

    I've tagged you for a meme, go to my blog to find out more.

    Nic x

    ReplyDelete
  18. So jealous of all these blogmeets! Cherub is a brilliant photographer. Not a weird facial expression, mid-blink capture among you! Sh on Mr. Shhhh-y.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow - you Melbourne girls are so good at blog meetings. I am always looking on jealously.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stomper I do believe that it was you who went way and above in your efforts to join us...

    Such a lovely morning and thank you again for coming all the way across town and bringing the cherubic one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh lucky you!

    Looks like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete

Don't let the cat get your tongue.