The September Holidays means going to the Royal Melbourne Show for us. As ever, our rules for the Show are:
1. Get there early, go home early. The later you stay at the Show, the uglier it gets, frankly.
2. If possible go with friends. (This year we hooked up with my friend Jenny and her girls.)
Jenny's girls are standing here with Fixit and Cherub, Jenny seems to have avoided my camera, although that might be her foot.
3. One showbag is plenty, and doesn't mean we don't love our children as one bogan commented to us a few years ago on the train-ride home. Seriously, I don't get the multiple showbag thing. It seems so greedy! Surely one bag of treats, be they toy or sugar, is enough for a kid? A bag of treats is great, why would you buy them 5 (or more) bags of treats?
4. Children must pat animals before being allowed to do any carnival activities. The Show, after all, is about bringing the country to the city.
This chook pretty much fell asleep on Climber's lap, which made him feel very special.
The kids loved patting the cats, and also watching the playful antics of some nearby silver bengal (I think) kittens.
This very impressive turkey was wandering around the poultry shed like he owned it. He wasn't keen on kids coming up behind him, which is fair enough. Tail like that, we were surprised he could even tell if he had stalkers.
Fixit and Climber, aka the family irongutses, brave the Techno Jump, while the rest of us waved at them.
5. (a more recent rule) I must have a go on the Giant Slide.
... because it is SO MUCH FUN!
Full photo set here.
good Methodist kid
2 hours ago