Sunday, May 02, 2010

Basil The Cat Q&A

WHAT'S WITH THE NAME?
Our last kitty was called Bertie Wooster, which was a name I absolutely LOVED. It was really hard to think of a name that could live up to that, especially because Cherub kept nagging me: he needed the name NOW. So I was harassed-ly flicking through my mental library of well-known literary or real or film/tv characters and Basil Fawlty cropped up. Basil seemed like a good name. When he's naughty I can do my Sybil Fawlty impersonation. Basil! We most definitely do not say Bay-sil in Australia.

Basil 2867

WHERE DID YOU GET HIM?
We got the new kitty from a breeder in Macclesfield, which is a long drive from our house, all the way to the Dandenongs. His breeder was recommended to us by Bertie's breeder, and I'd been watching the ad for him for a couple of weeks while I agonised over whether we could afford him, in light of the great motorcycle disaster. Of course, we can't, not really. But he was still there after a couple of weeks, so I figured it was meant to be. He is, after all, a lilac burmese.

Basil 2862

The family who sold him to us had 3 very nice boy-children and such was their rapport with my kids that the Climber and their eldest boy exchanged email addresses and have been sending each other little messages all day. It also turned out that the family ran an online toy shop so I was able to buy the kids a Sonic Screwdriver at the same time, because I have started letting the kids watch Doctor Who this year. It scared them so much the first time that Cherub was glued to my lap and Climber was awake from 12.30am to 2am that first time, but they've got the hang of it now.

DSC_2857
Doctor Climber attacks a Dalek-Cherub with the Sonic Screwdriver

WHAT SORT OF CAT IS HE?
Basil is a Burmese cat, they make extra good pets because they are so friendly and clever and affectionate and playful. Even better, he is a lilac Burmese, which considering the whole purple fixation I have going on, made him fairly irresistible to me. He even has a purple nose.

HOW'S HE SETTLING IN?
Really well, considering he's just been ripped from his home, his mother and his many kitten friends and siblings. He seems to have a really sweet nature, not so much of the bad-ass attitude of the last puss. He's successfully acquainted himself with the litter-tray (after having an accident on the sheepskin rug I'd given him to make him feel comfortable). He's eating, he's cuddling, he's slept on Cherub's bed, he's played. He's just lovely actually. He's not 100% at home yet, but he's doing really well.

WHAT'S HE LIKE?
Teeny. Soft. He has a croaky meow like a creaky door. Extremely pretty. Smoochy. Still a bit nervous, but getting braver.

Basil_2869

ARE THE KIDS HAPPY?
Oh yeah, baby.

25 comments:

  1. Q. Am I jealous?
    A. DERRRR!!!

    Q. Am I squeeeeeeing in my head with delight over your new kitty?
    A. Absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even this non-cat person understands. And he is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a very pretty cat.

    I want one!

    Yeah yeah, I know I have one already, but he will stop sleeping on top of my handbag long enough to welcome the new kitty, surely...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, Tigger is a lilac point siamese :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sooo gorgeous

    and now, will be repeating to self about a million times before I go to bed 'You put Basil in the Rataouille?'

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute is Basil - a lilac cat too - just perect!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. kittens and sonic screwdrivers - you give good blog Mrs stomper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a gorgeous kitten. Would you clone him for me.?!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I have found the cat for Margot!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The reason you can't have a dog is that they don't come in purple.

    Good work finding a purple cat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, beautiful!

    I am so HAPPY your house isn't catless any monger!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do like the name. My cousins used to have dogs named Basil and Sybil.

    Sounds like he's been a hit all around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Basil is perfect, and one lucky cat to get to live in such a lovely household.

    ReplyDelete
  14. He's purple! So purrfect. And by kids, I assume you mean their mother too?

    ReplyDelete
  15. ~~heart melts~~

    Nic @talesfromtheplain

    ReplyDelete
  16. No, please don't limit your Basil posts to one. Please don't.
    He's gorgeous, just beautiful.
    And the creaky door meow thing? My boy has one of those too, but can crank it up to a real yowl when needed. I wonder if Basil can too?
    Fawlty Towers - an all time favourite of mine. If you get another one you could call it Manuel.

    ReplyDelete
  17. AH....LILAC!!! Goddit now, perfectly purple.

    Way to go....now I have kitten envy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG a sonic screwdriver? I want one.
    Totally sad, I know!
    Welcome to the kitty cat.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please tell me he hasn't eaten my fish...In fact please tell me someone is still feeding my fish now that he is playing second fiddle to the gorgeous kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. He's way too little to get your fishy. Mister Tiffley is doing fine, although since Basil arrived I have had to remind the boysies to feed him of a morning.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a gorgeous little cat...I want one...but it would eat the frogs. Or the guinea pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, he is gorgeous. Gorgeous!

    And I have never seen a lilac Burmese ... wow!

    ReplyDelete

Don't let the cat get your tongue.