Sunday, May 23, 2010

Chicken Pox

One of the best reasons for writing this blog is so that in 20-odd years time when my memory is even more ruined than it is now, and Climber for whatever reason phones me and says Do you know if I've had the chicken pox? I will be able to execute a quick search and say to him Why yes darling, you had it when you were 9 and a quarter, despite the fact that you and your brother were both vaccinated against it as babies, and it was a reasonably mild case.

Chcken Pox 3137

And then if he wants to know anything more about it I'll be able to tell him that he got his symptoms on a Friday night and saw a Doctor on Saturday afternoon and by then we'd pretty much missed the local chemists and so I made a judgement call that a mild case would not warrant a special trip to a far-away chemist and that was a shame because he then proceeded to have a very bad night and I only had a hotch-potch of home-made recipes to help him with, like the not terribly effective oatmeal bath before bedtime (made from pureeing some rolled oats which I think destroyed the blender motor), and the calamine lotion in a spray bottle that I gave him to get him through the night which wasn't anywhere near good enough, so he spent basically from 12-3am awake and in distress, till I got him up and put him in a bath with all the available bicarb and some drops of lavender oil and then daubed the worst sores with lavender oil and that let him sleep through till morning. And then he'll be able to say Thanks Mum and I might hear him telling his partner that they really ought to go to chemist immediately for phenergan and pinetarsol bath solution just in case, but to check the stores of bicarb and lavender oil as a back-up. And I'll be able to ask him if there's any other disease he needs to know about because I know for a fact that he had scarlet fever when he was three-ish, also parvovirus and molluscums at about age 8, both of which his brother had too, and when is he coming round for dinner and to help us move the heavy thing?

19 comments:

  1. Loving that you are working 'elderly parent' nag into a retrospective blog post. Loving it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic! Hope he's feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the pox!

    But geeze, that kid is looking more like you every day. Look at that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness me! I hope the poor spotty fellow is less itchy very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And a perfectly good reason to write a blog, too.

    But thanks for letting me know that it was actually a good idea NOT to fork out about $400 for two kids to get vaccinated (before it was on the schedule). They got the pox anyway and that counts as free vaccination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And a good warning to me who did have the kids vaccinated.

    Geez!

    I am itching in sympathy now - and yawning in sympathy with you after such a night

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor boy - make sure he doesn't scratch the ones on his gorgeous face!!!
    I agree that a blog is a great way to refer to childrens milestones/ailments. I just hope I don'y for get the address in my old age!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Climber. He looks miserable! My mother bathed my rash in alcohol.

    Mine have both been vaccinated, but... they'll probably get it via the interweb now. Just like they got the parvo after you had it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ohh those are sick-boy eyes. Pinetarsal...heh, I remember a few bottles of that being used. on their father, who was very very ill with them, when I was pregnant with number 2 son, and the vaccinated number 1 son had the very mild dose. Number 2 son later got an even milder dose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank ye heavens, someone finally worked the blog thing out. So, all what you said, plus the recorded for posterity, 21st birthday fodder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My now sixteen year old had the pox TWICE. Really mild version (about 4 spots, a bit of fever)when she was 2 after all her cousins came down with it), then the full blown thing when she was 5 when it raced through kinder. Threw her little brother in the bath with her many times so he could get it over with
    (he did). Makes you question the silly immuno, doesn't it? Another way for drug companies to make money from nervous parents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a lovely photo, what a spunk, despite the spots!
    JC

    ReplyDelete
  13. How I wish I'd had the blog way back then, because when I'm asked those questions now, there's a lot of guesswork involved in the answers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor Climber. I hope he's on the mend by now.
    I've never had Chicken Pox myself so I'll be staying away for a while.
    Will get in touch with you though about that kitty visit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, chicken pox is a terrible thing. Poor Climber. I got the pox the day after giving birth to The Impossible Princess...who then caught it herself a week or so later.

    But, somehow you've managed to find the humour in your situation! Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Poor darling boy. I hope he's feeling a lot better and everyone's getting some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I started itching as I was reading this , poor kid ! I hope he still visits you now you are old !

    ReplyDelete
  18. I guess that goes to show that the only cure for chicken pox, is chicken pox. And then only if you have it good and proper.

    (Blossom did at 18 months so I know that 'good and proper' means hospital and a hysterical mother).

    ReplyDelete

Don't let the cat get your tongue.